Skip to main content

But did you document it?


If you didn't document it, you didn't do it. All the safety management, inspections, leadership, administration, purchases, inventory, training, certifications, etc. will not be worth a hill of beans unless you have documentation that it was done.  

Checklists are my favorite. I read somewhere that even brain surgeons use checklists. I can just picture them going down the list, getting to the check box next to "count sponges" and discovering that they are one short. Nurse! Open up the skull again. 

I regularly watched my colleagues conduct behavior observations for front line workers at a recycling plant. One by one on one, every month, they reviewed, in detail, the worker's ppe, posture, hydration, and general safety concerns for the day. It was cordial and brief and powerful and it ended with both their signatures on the form. The message to the employee was clear. His supervisor was watching and responsible for his safety equipment and performance. The supervisor knew he had to complete one of these for each employee he supervised once a month, and he had to follow up on any issue the employee brought to his attention, and before the next month's observation, preferably.

There are a few best practices when it comes to recordkeeping. When collecting names and signatures on a training roster you may have to make allowances for workers who are not accustomed to reading and writing. I like big boxes for signatures and printed names! Not so easy to read their writing sometimes. Take care not to embarass anyone in front of the class but don't let them leave till you can read the information they provide. 

You kids have it so easy these days. I can scan a document in the field with my phone and send it anywhere in the world. It takes a little getting used to but cloud storage for safety documentation is a fantastic hack to make your recordkeeping easier.

Bound notebook booklets are also a good idea because you can prove none of the notes were removed, and demonstrate your field notes were contemporaneous with the occurence you are documenting.  Contemporaneous notes are notes made at the time or shortly after an event occurs. They represent the best recollection of what you witnessed.  Several engineering supply sources will have bound notebooks for field observations and inspections.

Its a hassle. Stopping what you're doing to take notes, carrying around a clipboard with your inspection forms and receipts for lunch, finding the written inventory tally you completed two days earlier...but recordkeeping is essential to managing and improving your safety performance, and you can measure your performance over time. If you can measure it, you can manage it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Human Contact

It took a few minutes for my eyes to get used to the dim lighting in the recycling plant. It was dusty and slightly rancid and there was a cacophony of conveyors, trucks, and loaders. The first time I walked through that paper recycling plant I was intimidated to say the least. I had been hired to run this place. What did I get myself into? I knew landfills and transfer stations and garbage, and ran great facilities in Florida, but what did I know about managing a recycling plant on the wintry East River in Brooklyn? I looked at the men sorting material flying past on the conveyors and they stared back at me, stone faced behind their dust masks, safety glasses, hard hats, bundled against the frigid cold. At my previous post, I was used to solicitous smiles and a friendly greeting from my employees. I worked with the same people for many years, knew their wives and kids, and prided myself on my flexibility when it came to their needs. The hardest part was when they request

Forklift Operator Training

Powered Industrial Truck Operator Training is in demand! Did you know that OSHA requires forklift operators to be trained and certified every three years?  Ever wonder why? You may have been driving a car for 30 years, yet you only had to be trained, and demonstrated your skills, one time.  Why do we have any workplace safety regulations? Just look at the statistics. Forklifts, formally referred to as Powered Industrial Trucks, are involved in a staggering number of accidents. Part of the problem is the fact that they are so accessible.  You don't even have to open a door to get in. And they look pretty familiar...gas pedal, brakes, steering wheel...looks like something I drove to work this morning. Same thing as a car right? Wrong! Completely different. Rear steer, counter weight, triangle of stability, high lift, no shocks, slick tires, where does one start? Untrained operators are one of the chief problems with forklifts.  Think about the setting where most forklifts are us

Get the Salt

Go get the salt . I'll wait right here. My pride didn't get in the way of the right action on that cold morning. I followed the instructions that the shop steward bellowed at me without a second thought. Before I set the alarm clock the night before, I knew there would be ice around all of the entrances that morning. Freezing rain the night before left a real mess for us to deal with, and the persistent gale force winds in the port of Newark didn't show any signs of letting up. It was pitch black when I made it to the office that day, and as I suspected, the asphalt ramp leading to the employee's locker room was slick with ice. It was Robert, the shop steward who knew the contract better than I, any lawyer, or union representative, the man who distrusted me, the company, the government, and just about everyone else, helping the elderly employees navigate the ice in front of the entrance. As he promised, he stayed right there, making sure no one slipped,